It’s Day 3 For our Hip Opening Challenge in February!
Are you sitting all day? Hips feeling stiff? Not sure what to do?
Try Baddha Konasana (Bound Angle Pose)
This will give you a nice stretch within your hips and also groin. If you find you have a rounded back when you sit on the floor, try sitting on a block like I am. Ideally if your hips are already open, your legs would be on the floor. However, my hips are tight, what can I say I’m a work in progress, that is why my knees are somewhat up in the picture. If you lift a lot of weights… which I do and haven’t focused on stretching in the past… I didn’t. Then your hips can be really tight! There is no shame in that, we just need to work on stretching it out and getting that area more open so you don’t feel so stiff.
If you want to work on hip opening with me (A journey together) read the following instructions below:
1. Place a block underneath your sitz bones (your butt).
2. Bend your knees and draw your feet together so that the soles of your feet touch one another.
3. Try to sit up nice and tall if you can and reach forwards towards your feet/ankles.
4. I like to press my elbows into my knees/inner thigh gently to get a little more of a stretch, but that’s up to you.
5. If you feel a little discomfort that is normal. Focus on your breath. Big inhale through your nose and exhale out of your mouth, do this a few more times.
6. Send the breath into your hips and as you focus on your breath check to see where your knees are, typically you will see them start to gently get closer to the ground.
Did you try it? How did you feel? Let me know below.