By Guest Contributor- Ariana Lopez
I love a good classic grilled cheese. Who doesn’t? Just think of the gooey cheese that stretches out with each bite…pure bliss. Unless, it’s too cheesy and gets so stringy that you almost choke, but that rarely happens.
I like grilled cheese and ate it with salt and vinegar chips and it was amazing. But after I ate I was like that was yummy, but where was my vegetables? Ya know, the leafy green kind. So I came up with this recipe below. I hope you enjoy. And if anyone asks how is a grilled cheese healthy? Tell them this, “It’s got dairy, onions, pickles and that delicious spinach that made Popeye so strong.” Once you add a leafy green to anything it suddenly becomes healthy…right? Right? Just kidding, still eat your veggies!
2 slices of bread
1-2 slices of mozzarella cheese
1-2 tsp Dijon Mustard
1 slice of onion, white
1 pickle slice
1 handful of spinach
1Tbsp of butter (unsalted)
- Heat your pan on the stove, medium heat
- Take an onion and cut off a thin slice of it
- Take your 2 pieces of bread and lay them on a plate
- You have the left piece and the right piece. On the right piece place a slice(s) of mozzarella cheese
- On top of the cheese place your slice of onion
- On top of the onion put your pickles
- Then place a handful of spinach on top of the pickles
- On you left bread piece put a tsp or more (depending on your preference) of dijon mustard
- Place the left bread slice on top of the spinach, mustard side down
- Flip your sandwich over on the plate. Take a butterknife and spread some of your butter on the slice facing towards you.
- Place the sandwich butter face down in your pan. Watch the bread so it gets toasted, but NOT burned. No one and I mean NO ONE likes a burnt grilled cheese
- As you wait for the first side to toast, butter the slice of bread that is on top
- Check the side of the sandwich being grilled. Once golden brown, flip it
- Then wait for this side to get golden brown
- After both sides are golden brown, take it off the heat and put it on a plate.
- Let sandwich cool for a few minutes
- Then serve with your favorite side of potato chips or veggie slices.