Chair or Utkatasana is a great pose. It is essentially a yoga squat that helps to strengthen your knees and also your quadriceps and glutes. If you’ve ever been to a yoga class then you’ve probably already done this pose before and can attest to it being a little challenging, but very rewarding as well.
How to get into chair pose:
- Come to the top of your mat
- Bring your feet together, or you can have them hip distance apart. Whichever feels best for you body.
- Bring a slight engagement into your core (core brace).
- Bring the weight of your body into your heels
- Sink your hips back, as if you are going to sit in a chair, while maintaining the core brace
- As you sink down into an imaginary chair, raise your arms overhead with palms facing one another
- Draw the shoulders away from the ears, relaxing the shoulders
- And bring your hands together for to heart center
What areas of your body were burning in this pose? Is this a new favorite of yours now? It’s a go to for me.