Ever look in your fridge and think “I have no idea what I want?” That happens to me often on the weekends, when I already did my meal prep and ate everything I made. So recently, I had some hummus left in the fridge and all the salad fixings…but no meat like chicken or tuna. I’d heard of hummus bowls but never tried one and honestly I was afraid I was going to hate it, but I said I’ll give it a shot. It was one of the best and most delicious salads I have ever had… and guess what? I was actually full afterwards! Check out the recipe below:
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
1.5 cups mixed greens
1/4 cup hummus (I LOVE garlic hummus)
1/4 red pepper, diced
1/4 cucumber, diced
2 Tbsp green or black olives, halved
1/2 stick celery, diced
1-2 slices onions (white or yellow), diced
1/2 Roma tomato, diced
5-6 Whole wheat crackers (Triscuits) served on the side
Pinch of pepper, salt
Drizzle of Olive oil
1/2 lemon, squeeze for juice
- Cook your rice by the instructions on the back of the container.
- As the rice is cooking dice up the red pepper, cucumber, olives, celery, onions, and tomatoes.
- Place the lettuce at the bottom of your bowl.
- Next layer add the rice and then top it with red pepper, cucumber, olives, celery, onions, tomatoes, and hummus in your bowl.
- Drizzle Olive oil over your bowl and squeeze lemon juice over your toppings.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place crackers on the side.